Jen Hatmaker's Grocery Day Sandwich
- Loaf of Ciabatta bread
- Tub of Pesto
- ¼lb Pepperoni
- ¼lb Salami
- ¼lb Ham
- ¼lb Mozzarella
- 1 container Butter Lettuce
- 1-2 Tomatoes
- Fresh Basil
- Purple Onions
- Go-to recipe on Grocery Store Day, because by the time I've put the food in the basket, put the food on the conveyer belt, put the food into the car, taken the food into the house, washed the food, put the food in the fridge/freezer/pantry, I'M OVER THE FOOD. This is not a day to make an elaborate meal, because we have angry feelings toward the food.
- So...at the grocery store, make the deli and bakery your sous chef. Buy:
- Bakery: Ciabatta bread (one loaf for normal families, two loaves for freakish Dugger families like ours)
- Deli: pepperoni, salami, ham, and mozzerella sliced uber thin, tub of pesto, tub of marinara (or use your frozen portioned homemade marinana LIKE I TOLD YOU TO MONDAY)
- Produce: butter lettuce (why do the other lettuces even try??), tomatoes, fresh basil, onions if they won't incite mob violence
- Slice your ciabatta loaf in half. Spread pesto on the bottom, layer up the meats, cheese, and veggies, spread marinara on the top half. Close 'er up, stick on a pan, warm through at 350 for about 15 minutes. Slice and serve with cute little individual bowls of marinara, because the only thing better than homemade marinara is more homemade marinara.
- Cut up a pineapple for your "side dish." Because you are still very much over all the food.
- This entire procedure takes 5 minutes to assemble. Maddeningly, your people will fall all over themselves loving this dinner while barely commenting on the two hour Indian feast you prepared the night before. YOU TOASTED AND GROUND YOUR OWN SPICES WHILE MAKING BIRYANI AND NAAN, and they are like, Mmmmm! Store bought pesto on bread! Delicious, Mom! You're a great cook! When in fact, you've made a sandwich.
- Fine. I'm awesome.