Beer battered Shrimp
- 18 large prawns or shrimp
- ½ cup corn flour (cornstarch)
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- sea salt
- 150g (5 oz) plain flour (all-purpose flour)
- 50g (2 oz) corn flour (cornstarch)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 320ml (11 fl oz) cold beer
- Spicy Mayo:
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup Marion’s Kitchen Coconut Sriracha*
- STEP 1
- Ensure the prawns, flour, and beer are all cold and taken straight from the fridge just before cooking.
- STEP 2
- For the spicy mayo, combine the ingredients and set aside until ready to serve.
- STEP 3
- Prepare the batter ingredients by placing the plain flour, corn flour, salt and baking powder in a large bowl.
- STEP 4
- Place the ½ cup of corn flour onto a plate or tray.
- STEP 5
- When ready to serve, heat enough vegetable oil to deep–fry in a large, deep frying pan or wok over high heat.
- STEP 6
- When the oil is nearly hot, take your beer from the fridge and pour it into the flour mixture. Whisk until smooth.
- STEP 7
- When the oil is hot (a wooden chopstick should start to bubble when dipped into the hot oil), coat each prawn in the corn flour. Shake off the excess and then dip the prawn into the batter before gently placing it into the hot oil.
- STEP 8
- Repeat with remaining prawns (do this in batches if necessary). Cook for 2-3 minutes or until each prawn is golden, crisp and cooked through. Drain on the paper towel. Serve immediately with the spicy mayo.