Instant Pot Bean Dip
~by Josie Smythe
- 1 lb dry pinto beans
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 pickled serrano peppers, diced (from can)
- 2 large green chiles, diced (from can)
- 2T bacon fat
- 1tsp cumin
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup juice from canned serrano & chile peppers*
- Salt to taste (optional)
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- Rinse & drain beans, then place in Instant Pot.
- Add all the other ingredients (except salt & cheese) to pot & stir.
- Put lid on pot & set vent to sealing position.
- Cook on High Pressure for 45 minutes (Manual or Pressure Cook function).
- Natural Pressure Release for 20 minutes.
- Quick Release any remaining pressure.
- Remove lid when pin drops & check beans for softness.
- (If they're not soft enough put lid back on & cook another 5-10 minutes)
- Drain beans saving the liquid.
- Put beans back into pot & blend with immersion blender.
- Add a little of the bean liquid until you get the consistency you like.
- Taste & add salt if needed.
- Top bean dip with shredded cheese if desired & serve with tortilla chips.
- You can omit the 1 cup of juice from the peppers & use 5 cups of broth instead if you prefer.
- Canned Serrano Peppers I used:
- Canned Green Chiles I used: