- 4 bone in chicken breasts
- 1 onion
- 1 palm sized piece of ginger
- green onion
- thai basil
- ¼ cup fish sauce plus to taste
- 2 TBS sugar (preferably palm sugar)
- pho noodles
- lime wedge
- packet of pho spices (can omit)
- Over direct heat gas flame, char the whole onion and ginger, 5 minutes. If a gas burner is not available, you can use a dry pan on the stove, broil in the oven, or use your outdoor BBQ grill.
- Place chicken, fish sauce, sugar, charred onion and ginger, and spice packet into Instant Pot and fill with hot water (can use cold, it just takes longer to heat up). Close lid, set vent knob to Sealing, and use Manual for 20 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, slice green onion and cilantro into small pieces
- After 20 minute cook time, you can QR or NPR. Taste and season broth.
- In a separate pot, boil some water, Using a noodle strainer if available, boil the dry pho noodles about 5 to 20 seconds until it is loose and pliable. Place into soup bowl.
- Slice or pull chicken meat and add to soup bowl
- Garnish with green onion and cilantro, pour hot soup broth into bowl
- Top with Thai basil and a squeeze of fresh lime juice
- Stay lubed during all steps of the cooking process!
Want your own copy of the complete recipe? Sign up to copy any recipe from any website with a click.