Goan Caldine (Yellow Fish Curry)
From Regional Indian Cooking (pg 132) by Ajoy Joshi & Alison Roberts
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds
- 1" knob fresh ginger, peeled & rough chop
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 400 ml (13 fl oz) coconut cream
- 2 tbsp veg oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 fresh mild long green chilies, split lengthwise
- 750 g fish fillets (snapper or cod)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- In a large frying pan heat oil over medium-low heat. Add onion and salt and cook uncovered until onion is dark golden brown. (20 to 25 minutes)
- Grind cumin seeds into fine powder. Add to a food processor with ginger, garlic, and turmeric and process until roughly chopped. Add a little coconut cream and process to a fine paste.
- Once onions are caramelized raise heat to medium, add chilies and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add spice mixture and cook, stirring until sauce comes to a simmer.
- Add fish and cook until it flakes with a fork (8 to 10 minutes).
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Adjust salt if necessary.