Summer Tomato Pie
Servings: Serves 8
- 2 (9-inch) pie dough rounds (see note)
- 2 pounds beefsteak tomatoes (about 4 large), cored and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 scallions, sliced thin
- Roll Dough On lightly floured surface, roll 1 dough round into 12-inch circle (if using store-bought dough, you do not need to roll either crust). Transfer to 9-inch pie plate, letting excess hang over edge. Cover with plastic and refrigerate 30 minutes. Roll second round into 12-inch circle and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Drain Tomatoes Arrange tomatoes on paper towel-lined baking sheet and sprinkle with salt. Let drain 30 minutes, then press tomatoes with additional paper towels until very dry.
- Assemble Pie Adjust oven rack to lowest position, place empty rimmed baking sheet on rack, and heat oven to 450 degrees. Mix mayonnaise, cornstarch, and 1 cup cheese in bowl until well combined. Sprinkle remaining cheese over bottom of dough-lined pie plate. Arrange third of tomatoes over cheese. Spread half of mayonnaise mixture over tomatoes and sprinkle with half of scallions. Layer with another third of tomatoes, remaining mayonnaise mixture, and remaining scallions, then top with remaining tomatoes.
- Crimp Crust Arrange top crust on pie. Press crusts together, then trim, fold and crimp edges. Cut four 2-by1-inch oval vent holes in top. Place pie on heated baking sheet, bake for 10 minutes, then lower oven temperature to 325 degrees and bake until crust is golden brown, about 40 minutes. Cool on wire rack at least 3 hours. Serve at room temperature.
- Courtesy of Cook's Country.