Hazelnut shiitake butternut salad
From the book Salad Samurai
Servings: 3 to 4
- 1 lb butternut squash
- 2 Tbs olive oil, divided
- ½ tsp smoked salt (or regular)
- 10 oz shiitake mushrooms
- 2 Tbs tamari
- 3 cups arugula or relaxed, shredded kale
- 3 scallions, green part only, thinly sliced
- 1 crisp Bosc pair, diced and cored
- ½ C roasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 2 Tbs malt vinegar (or balsamic)
- 4 tsp toasted hazelnut oil (or olive oil)
- 4 tsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp Aleppo pepper or ¼ tsp cayenne
- ½ tsp smoke salt (or reg)
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 and line baking sheet with parchment
- Peel and dice squash in 1 in cubes
- Transfer to sheet, drizzle with 1 Tbs of oil and sprinkle with salt- toss to coat
- Put in a single layer on pan and roast for 20 min, stirring regularly
- Meanwhile, clean mushrooms and remove Woody stems, toss with remaining 1 Tbs of olive oil and tamari
- After 20 min, move squash over on pan and make room to put mushrooms on in a single layer. Roast both for an additional 10 to 15 min until squash is tender and mushrooms are deeply browned. Stir both regularly (but separately) during this process.
- Set aside mushrooms and squash to cool slightly.
- Whisk the dressing together, add the mushrooms and squash to dressing, then add greens, scallions, pear, and hazelnuts.
- Combine and serve right away!