Creme Patissiere (Pastry Cream)
- 2 cups milk
- 6 tbsp sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp cornstarch (cornflour) packed tablespoons ( 4 tbsp / 40 g for a stiffer pastry cream). You can also add up to 50 g / 5 tbsp if you want a thicker, more stable pastry cream.
- 1 tbsp vanilla bean paste / extract / 1 vanilla bean pod
- 4 large egg yolks about 20 g each (please see recipe notes)
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter softened
- subheading: Adding gelatin (Optional):
- 3 tbsp water
- 1½ tsp powdered gelatin 225 bloom strength
Never lose a recipe again, not even if the original website goes away! Use the Copy Me That button to create your own complete copy of any recipe that you find online. Learn more! It's free!