by Carol Altman
- 3 chicken thighs with bones and some of the skin
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 carrots sliced
- 4 sliced celery stalks AND the bottom part of the stalk and the leaves from stalks
- Penzey's Minced Garlic
- Onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- MATZO BALLS:
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup Matzo Meal
- Few sprinkles of black pepper and salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- chicken livers
- Put all ingredients in Instant Pot. Add water to cover plus at least 2 inches. Do not overfill pot.
- Set IP for 36 minutes on High Pressure. Let steam release NATURALLY when time is up.
- Remove bottom of celery and celery leaves. Remove chicken, take off from bones and put back in pot.
- Set IP on SAUTE.
- While you are waiting for natural steam release mix up MATZO BALLS:
- Mix all ingredients. If needed add a little water.
- If you have time, refrigerate covered for 10 minutes.
- Once soup is boiling you can add matzo balls
- Spray your hands with PAM, roll mixture into balls approximately 1 inch in diameter (they expand).
- Carefully drop into boiling soup.
- Cook for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Optional: just before putting matzo balls in broth add chicken livers.
- NOTE: the saute feature automatically turns off after 30 minutes so you will need to turn it back on until balls are done. Every once in a while gently stir so the balls flip and cook evenly.