The Best Vegan Mac and Cheese
- 4 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 8 ounces macaroni
- 4 slices of bread, torn into large pieces
- 2 tablespoons + ⅓ cup non-hydrogenated margarine
- 2 tablespoons shallots, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup red or yellow potatoes, peeled and chopped
- ¼ cup carrots, peeled and chopped
- ⅓ cup onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup raw cashews
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- In a large pot, bring the water and salt to a boil. Add macaroni and cook until al dente. In a colander, drain pasta and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- In a food processor, make breadcrumbs by pulverizing the bread and 2 tablespoons margarine to a medium-fine texture. Set aside.
Never lose a recipe again, not even if the original website goes away! Use the Copy Me That button to create your own complete copy of any recipe that you find online. Learn more! It's free!