Shepherd's Pie Stew
Skinnytaste One and Done, pg 224
Servings: 6 (scant 1.5 cup servings)
- ½ T Olive Oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ pounds 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ cup chopped mushrooms
- 2 T all-purpose flour, wheat or gluten free
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 pound fresh or frozen potato gnocchi
- ½ c fresh or frozen corn kernals
- ½ c fresh or frozen green peas
- In a Dutch oven or large pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, carrots, and celery and cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, 4 to 5 minues.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, abuot 30 seconds.
- Add the turkey, salt and pper and brown the meat using a wooden spoon to break it into small pieces as it cooks, about 3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the mixture and cook, stirring, for one minute to cook the flour.
- Add the tomato paste, chicken broth, Worchestershire, rosemary and thyme, and stir well. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium, cover, and simmer until the flavors meld, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Stir in the gnocchi, corn and peas. Increase the heat to high and cook, uncovered, according to the gnocchi package directions, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Divide among 6 bowls and serve.